1962 Alfa Romeo Giulia 1600 Spider
1962 Alfa Romeo Giulia 1600 Spider
- Engine: 1570cc twin-cam four cylinder
- Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
- Year: 1962
- Registration: 139 YUY
- Mileage: 45,000
- Exterior colour: Celeste
- Interior colour and material: Black vinyl
VIEWING BY APPOINTMENT ONLY PLEASE
- According to the Alfa Romeo Museum archives this Spider was manufactured on November 2nd 1962. The original paint colour was Sky Blue (Celeste) with Black vinyl interior, just as it is now.
- We have the original service book for the car, and in conjunction with an Italian PRA report that we obtained, we know that this wonderful car was sold new by the Alfa Romeo dealer A Maifredi to a Teresa Esposito of Milan, Italy, on February 18th 1963 and registered MI-731722. It is not certain how long she owned the car for, but we certainly know that she owned it in 1976 due to an entry in the registration book.
- The PRA report shows that in November 1995 the Spider was sold by a Francesco Balocco of the same address in Milan as Teresa Esposito. Signore Balocco was born just one year after Signora Esposito in 1915, and so it can be presumed that they were possibly husband and wife (Esposito probably being her maiden name).
- The car had been licensed each year (except for two - 1969 and 1970) until December 1982 by the same office, when it is presumed that the car stopped being driven as there are no further licence tickets in the registration book. Signora Esposito / Balocco would have been sixty nine years old at this time so it is understandable that she may have begun finding her Spider difficult to drive in the Milan traffic.
- Signore Balocco sold the car to a Roberto Buzzoni of Milan on November 9th 1995, who after seventeen years of ownership sold it to a Riccardo Ravani of Segrate (Milano) on September 20th 2012.
- The service record book of this car is particularly interesting. Until the late 1980’s Alfa Romeo had their own sales and maintenance divisions known as the Filiale di Milano which operated out of the former manufacturing buildings on via Grosotto in Portello, Milano. The company also operated its mechanics training centre at the Filiale. As can be imagined, it was rather prestigious to be able to purchase your new Alfa Romeo from the Filiale and have it maintained there too. The first and second scheduled services on this Spider were carried out by the Alfa Romeo Filiale di Milano and the fourth service was by the Alfa Romeo Scuola Assistenza (training school). The last stamped entry in the book was for a service in February 1968 at 24,100 kilometres by the well known Milano dealership S.A.V.I.M. SpA.
- To summarise, we propose that this Spider was purchased new by a Milanese lady who owned it for thirty two years until selling it in 1995. It was then owned by a Gentleman for seventeen years until the end of 2012. We expect this most recent owner purchased the car with the intention of restoring it and selling it on, so it was probably he who had the car repainted (in its original colour). The paint is in immaculate condition, as is the chrome work, which looks like it could well be the original. The interior is wonderfully original, proudly wearing what appear to be the original seat covers, carpets, and folding roof. The car also comes with a Pininfarina hard roof.
- We were assured by the Gentleman near Milan who we purchased the car from that the odometer reading of 45,700 kilometres was the total that the car had travelled since it was new. The overall condition of the interior, engine bay, and floor certainly indicate that this could well be the case, but there are sadly insufficient records with the car to substantiate the claim. We certainly feel that there is more chance that it is correct than it is not, but a purchaser would need to make up their own mind.
- We have had Giulietta expert Chris Robinson at RM Restorations carry out a brake overhaul and inspection on this wonderful car and it is now driving as beautifully as only an original and unrestored car can. It truly is a very special motor car that is UK road registered and ready to enjoy.