1973 Alfa Romeo Montreal
1973 Alfa Romeo Montreal
- Engine: 2593cc V8 cylinder
- Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
- Year: 1973
- Registration: XJB 990L
- Mileage: 34,000
- Exterior Colour: Orange
- Interior colour and material: Black cloth
VIEWING BY APPOINTMENT ONLY PLEASE.
- This Montreal joined our Black & White Collection in May 2008 when we purchased it from the classic car dealer Bresciacar, in Brescia, Northern Italy, but it was sadly sold in November 2013 as it was not getting the use that it deserves. It was located after a lengthy search to obtain a superb and unabused Montreal in a standard and original condition - sadly these are difficult requirements to achieve on a Montreal.
- According to the Alfa Romeo Museum Archives, this Montreal was manufactured on March 30th 1973 and sold by Alfa Romeo to their dealer in Rimini on May 15th 1973. The original paint colour was orange with the seats trimmed in black Alfatex cloth, just as the car is now.
- The Italian PRA report that we obtained states that the car was sold new in Rimini on June 14th 1973. It was sold after only ten months to a gentleman in Pescara on April 17th 1974, just down the east coast of Italy from Rimini. After only a few months on November 29th 1974 the car swapped Italian coasts and was sold to a gentleman in Rome, on the west coast of Italy. The car was then sold to a person near Brescia on February 16th 1981 and then onto another person near Brescia on February 23rd 1982. The car was then purchased by AutoBarbieri, a car dealer in Isorella, just south of Brescia, on May 27th 1988, who promptly sold it to a lady who lived beside the garage. AutoBarbieri then re-purchased the car on December 5th 2002 and retained it until selling it on March 20th 2006 to a resident of Brescia. The car was then bought by the dealer Bresciacar in Brescia, who we purchased it from on May 14th 2008.
- In April 2006 this Montreal had the honour of being awarded the highly regarded and desirable ASI (Automotoclub Storico Italiano) Certification which only the finest and most correct examples of classic cars and motorcycles in Italy are granted.
- Between April 2006 and October 2007 a total of 17,652 Euros was reportedly spent on an engine re-build, minor mechanical work and a seat re-trim (in the correct Alfatex fabric) by Garage Manenti based in the province of Brescia.
- It is unknown when the car received its high quality re-paint but we expect it was in the early 1990s. The interior carpets appear to be the original ones.
- Road registered in the UK by us in May 2008.
- We undertook a lot of works on the car in December 2009 that included the fitting of an Alfaholics Fast Road suspension handling kit in conjunction with a complete suspension overhaul and bush replacement, the fitting of an Alfaholics stainless steel sports exhaust system (excluding the manifolds), and also the fitting of Ferodo DS2500 brake pads and braided brake hoses.
- In April 2011 we fitted an Alfaholics billet aluminium steering box and rebuilt steering idler.
- In March 2012 we had SPICA pump expert Wes Ingram in Washington, North America, rebuild the SPICA fuel injection pump.
- In October 2013 we had Montreal expert Robert Thompson of High Performance Restoration carry out a thorough engine tune up and check-over to ensure that the car is running superbly.
- The occupants of this fabulous motor car can enjoy the factory fitted air conditioning, a rare and desirable option when the car was new.
- Previously registered in Italy as: RMN96650, PE123093, and BS788262.
- This Montreal is in excellent condition, and is the result of enormous work and expenditure by us with the aim of achieving a V8 engined Bertone classic that drove and handled as fabulously as it looked. That goal was most certainly achieved resulting in this surely being one of the finest driving Monteals in the world.
Events we have exhibited this Alfa Romeo at:
- Cotswold Alfa Day, Broughton Castle, June 29th 2008.
- Goodwood Road Racing Club Annual Vehicle Display, Goodwood House, West Sussex, August 10th 2008.
- Goodwood Revival Classic Car Park, Goodwood, West Sussex, September 21st 2008.
- PistonHeads Show, NEC Birmingham, January 15th to 17th 2010.
- Goodwood Revival Earls Court Motor Show "Grand Touring - Greats" Exhibition, Goodwood, West Sussex, September 17th to 19th 2010.
- Classic Motor Show, NEC Birmingham, November 12th to 14th 2010.
- The Alfa Romeo Montreal was introduced to the world as a concept car in 1967 at the Expo 67 in Montreal, Canada. The concept cars (one of which is held by the Alfa Romeo Museum in Arese) had bodies designed by Marcello Gandini at Bertone and were based on the Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT platform and running gear (including the 1600cc engine).
- In 1970 the production version of the Montreal was shown at the Geneva Motor Show and was very different mechanically to the Expo 67 concept car as it featured a 2593cc version of the 2.0 V8 engine from the spectacularly beautiful Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale racing car. The engine reportedly produced 200 Bhp with its SPICA mechanical fuel injection. This power was delivered to the road via a 5-Speed ZF dog-leg gearbox and a limited-slip differential.
- A total of only 3,925 Montreals were produced between 1970 and when the model ceased production in 1977, of which just 180 were made with right hand drive.