1960 Maserati 125/GT/Super
1960 Maserati 125/GT/Super
- Engine: 123cc 2-stroke single cylinder
- Transmission: 4 Speed manual
- Year: 1960
- Frame #: 3336
- Engine #: D5433
- Registration: PS 22828
- Exterior colour: Red
- Interior colour and material:
VIEWING BY APPOINTMENT ONLY PLEASE.
- We imported this very rare and well restored Maserati 125 GTS from a vendor in Rome, Italy.
- The Italian registration book for this Maserati states that it was first licensed in Pesaro, Italy, on January 18th 1961 with the plate PS-22828.
- It is believed to have been manufactured in 1960 which would make it one of the last Maserati motorcycles to have been built before the unfortunate closure of the factory.
- The registration book shows the motorcycle as having had only one owner from new (a Signore Angelo Tontini) until it was acquired by the vendor in a restored condition in October 2011.
- The vendor informed us when we purchased the Maserati that it was restored in approximately 2009 (in Italy).
A brief history of Maserati motorcycles:
- The sight of a Maserati badge on an old motorcycle usually foxes even people most familiar to the exotic Italian marque.
- Wealthy industrialist Adolfo Orsi from Modena purchased the ailing Maserati company from its founding brothers in 1937 and by then Maserati was producing spark plugs and machine tools as well as racing cars. In 1939 Adolfo relocated Maserati to Modena and expanded the company to produce batteries and bulbs too, a diversification that proved very successful during the war years. The car and parts companies were separated in 1947 and Fabbrica Candele e Accumulatori Maserati (FCAM) was formed.
- After business difficulties in 1953 Adolfo decided to divide his remaining companies amongst his siblings. Adolfo retained the car manufacturing division and his sister Ida took control of FCAM.
- As in most countries after the war, car transport was for the wealthy few and motorcycle and scooter manufacturing companies sprung up all over the place. Ida Orsi wanted a piece of the action and to save money on development costs she purchased an existing company in 1953, Italmoto of Bologna. She relocated Italmoto and the production of its 160cc motorcycle to her own factory in Modena and simply replaced the Italmoto badge with a Maserati one. Ida then instructed the design department to come up with a whole new range of motorcycles, the first to be made being a successful 123cc two-stroke known as the L125 T2 which was launched in 1954.
- In 1956 a range of 50cc motorcycles were introduced, topped by the racing orientated 50/T2/SS. These were adored by the young sporty Italians and although popular, their price restricted sales and they therefore sold in limited numbers only. The SS featured a lightweight thin tube frame and semi-circle front spray guard (complete with Maserati badge at the front), plus rear mounted foot rests and cushions on the fuel tank to rest the riders chest upon, therefore reducing the riders wind resistance at speed. Performance for a 50cc was fantastic due to the little engine producing a heady 2.82hp at 6,700rpm (maximum revs being 7,300rpm) and it delivered the power to the road through a three-speed gearbox. The 49kg light weight aided a top speed of 70 to 75kph depending on the pilot’s pre-ride pasta consumption.
- Other motorcycles were offered alongside the 50cc and 125cc models such as 75cc, 160cc, 175cc, and 250cc variants.
- After 1957 the company experienced financial struggles and FCAM was finally closed in 1960. The Maserati trident would only then be seen on four wheeled vehicles, back where it all began.